 Robotics / 10536
Re: Dumb AI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:24:07 GMT

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the links. They look realy interesting. I also found a discussion
group on the topic here: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/beamrobotics

David Leeper (hasn't read the posts on that group yet)

In lugnet.robotics, Joe Kopena writes:
In lugnet.robotics, David Leeper writes:
Another thought would be using solar panals to build a light seeking bot. The
panals would be attached to a light sensor and whichever light sensor picked
up the greatest amount of light would power a motor to move the bot. There
would be two motors used to drive the bot. If both the left and right panels
detect the same amount of light, the bot moves forward by spinning both
motors. If one panal detects more light than the other, the opposite motor is
spun, turning the bot to the light. I know such a bot could be built with a
CPU, but I believe one could also be built without a CPU, and perhaps without
even using a logic gate.

This is sort of the grandaddy of BEAM robots, the one which everyone who's • into
it has built.

If a collection of these "Dumb AI" methods were discovered, they could be • used
in combination to create even more complex bots.

This is one of the main themes in BEAM robotics, look around on the net for
more info. These are two cool sites about it:
    http://nis-www.lanl.gov/robot/
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbolt/e-index.html

There's also a mailing list somewhere.