 Robotics / 10541
Re: Dumb AI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 20:56:47 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, David Leeper writes:

As I understand Ben's bot, it's built with a diferential. When the robot
drives normally, the differential turns only the front wheel, moving the bot
forward. When the bot hits something the front wheel will jam, causing the
differential to drive the back wheels, which turns the bot based on how you
design the back wheel drive.

Actually the front fork turns to steer the robot when it stalls.  The
importance of the back wheels is to cause front wheel stalls WITHOUT hitting
something.  A semi-rigid rear axle means that large turns cause stalls, which
influences the robot to do more straight driving than spinning in circles.

I really recommend that people with a motor and a turntable build it.  It's
amazing to watch it move around.

--Ben