 Robotics / 10473
Re: Basement water alarm
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 03:56:34 GMT

Brian B. Alano writes:

> > 2. The RCX clock seems to lose time, roughly
> >    (very roughly) a half hour per week. Anyone
> >    else noticed this?
> >

> PC clocks tend to lose time as well. 10 minutes a day isn't unheard of.
> 1/2 hour per week is better than I expected: 99.7% accurate. On the
> other hand, my $15 alarm clock keeps good time. Why the difference?

Because your alarm clock is counting 60Hz cycles.  The power company
keeps the number of 60Hz cycles to precisely 60Hz over the long run.

If you want your PC clock to be accurate, run Dan Bernstein's
clockspeed package (http://cr.yp.to/clockspeed.html).  First, install
Linux....

--
-russ nelson <sig@russnelson.com>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country