 Robotics / 10457
Re: Legos get you into college
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 21:11:48 GMT

This thread is getting really off topic but...gotta put in my 2 cents.

It is nice that universities are attempting to create opportunities by
testing
for non-traditional problem solving skills but...Fact is, in the real
world
and to excell in higher education, you have to have the skills that
everyone
else possesses.  There IS a de facto standard language of information
exchange,
be it math, english, problem solving skills, formalized thinking, etc.
You
are NOT going to get into Harvard Law school for getting an "A" in
Ebonics, but
flunking Freshman English (that was a noble/PC experiment gone very
bad).

The alternative tests may get you in the door, but unless you have
adequate
math skills (for example), you just won't get the engineering degree.
If you
can't write at a college level, you won't pass your liberal arts
classes.  Saw
too many friends at Berkeley who got in on Equal opportunity fail in
this manner.
Those who succeeded, felt diminished by everyone assuming that they were
there
ONLY because they were EOP, NOT because they actually had the grades.

You have to walk a very slippery slope between watering down the
education
system, providing opportunities, and truly challenging students to
excell.

Getting into medical school is quite different from getting through it.
I couldn't care less how my doctor got in, as long as he has to get
through it to the usual standards, and pass the same exams as everyone else.

Point well taken, but having been thru the process, the whole thing
selects mainly
for some pretty good lab jockeys.  However, do you want a socialy
inept/insensitive
doctor or do you want someone who you can relate and communicate with?

It is a pretty cold system that probably produces better scientists than
humanitarians.

Dave Chen