 Robotics / 10404
10403  |  10405
Subject:
Repairing motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 20:43:03 GMT

Sorry for butting in - I haven't been subscribed to the list for some
time because of pressure of work. This weekend I had a bit of time and
got to the point of having nearly completed a robot I've been working on
for some time; and I needed one more motor.

So I went into town and found the one toyshop open on a Sunday and found
they had no motors individually, but one old and battered set 8266,
which contains a motor apparently identical to the ones in the
Mindstorms set; drove back home, plugged it in, and... nothing.
**FRUSTRATION**

On inspection the motor is extremely stiff: you can't turn the shaft by
hand at all. I've sprayed a lot of WD40 into it and got it rigged up
with one of my other motors cranking it round with a reduction gear just
now, and it's turning - but it still won't turn by hand.

Getting the backplate off is easy; but then there's the problem of
getting the motor out. Chris Moseley posted to the list on 15 Oct 1998
that 'it just drops out'. Not mine, they don't - neither the dead one
nor one of my live ones which I took the back off for comparison.

If anyone can give me any advice either how to get the motor out of the
body or what to do next I'd be exceedingly grateful.

--
Simon Brooke, Technical Director, Weft Technology Ltd --
http://www.weft.co.uk/

the weft is not just what binds the web: it is what makes it a web