 Robotics / 10235
Re: Pneumatics valve kluge proof of concept
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:18:32 GMT

"Mihalka, Michael" wrote:

Folks,

Well I had hoped to produce an all-lego version of the pneumatic door.
Unfortunately I couldn't build a decent Lego compressor with the parts on
hand and have decided merely to open and close the door with the valves
driven by the RCX. (I ordered the advanced pneumatics kit from Dacta this
weekend) Not surprisingly it works. Scroll down to the last picture:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Column/9278/pneumorobots.html
<http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Column/9278/pneumorobots.html>

The valves are on outputs A and B. I cut a Lego cable in half and attached
fishertechnik connectors for the connection to the valves (BTW other
fischerchnik sensors could also be added - touch, reed contact, NQC
resistor, etc-in this way and used by the RCX. Indeed I have a nice hall
effect sensor that should also work using this technique but more on that
later).

This of course is very klugey and ugly but many prototype proof of concepts
are.

Michael

Great work! Never mind if it looks a bit cluttered. I'm sold on the
solenoid valves.

Now if you could give some info how to connect them to work the Lego
pneumatic cylinders. Presumably you would need two of the solenoid
valves to control each Lego pneumatic cylinder to move the piston to and
fro.

Btw, the Dacta Advanced Pneumatics Set (#9633) is a good way to get into
Lego pneumatics. It includes all the parts for an motorised air
compressor. Also all the parts except for another motor, for a motorised
pneumatic valve switch. So you can really compare the mechanical Lego
pneumatic valve with the Fischertechnik electrical solenoid valve. Do
post your findings.
--
C S Soh

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~cssoh