 Robotics / 10236
RE: #5120 Polarity Switch: cheap shaft encoder/rotation sensor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 15:23:30 GMT

If you remove the lever from the polarity switch you can insert an axle through
the switch which will cycle the switch continuously between fwd/off/rev/off.
Since most of the tension in the switch is actually provided by the lever slot,
this axle can turn pretty freely.

<snipped description of polarity/rotation sensor>

Ben,

I think that the polarity switch is one of the most underused
Technic/Train elements. The fact that it switches polarity as
well as providing an off period is probably due to a break-before-make
switch arrangement to prevent shorting batteries, but it sure
is useful.

See my pneumatic limit switch for an example...

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pressureswitch/index.html>

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com

  #5120 Polarity Switch: cheap shaft encoder/rotation sensor?

If you remove the lever from the polarity switch you can insert an axle through the switch which will cycle the switch continuously between fwd/off/rev/off. Since most of the tension in the switch is actually provided by the lever slot, this axle (...) (24 years ago, 23-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics)