 Robotics / 10225
10224  |  10226
Subject:
Fishertechnik Pneumatic Valves?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:49:16 GMT

    I've been very interested in reading this discussion, regarding using
the pneumatic solenoid valves that Fishertechnik aparently has available. I
will admit, I've never had much interest in Pneumatics (got about 3
different sets, including the Dacta one, over the years), instead sticking
to the electrics which I knew I could control someday via the computer. So I
shoved all my pneumatic cylinders, hoses, compressors, etc... into a box and
put it under my bed.

    Now it looks like I'm ready to pull that box out again (^: I am really
interested in trying to do a model of one of the robots we build at ventax,
called a Sprue Picker (SP-2 type). We are currently working on a PLC-less
version of the simple sprue picker (its a prototype). I would like to build
a model of it, using the LEGO Pneumatics. Until now I've really only done
models of our standard cartesian robots. The sprue picker (robot7 on my
page) that I did was sort of similar, but the bulky electric drives really
don't reflect what the sprue picker looks, or moves, like. It really is a
cobra when it jumps down into the mould. It's just like BAM and it's in and
out of there! Real fun to watch.

    I am assuming each of these fishertechnik valves can only control one
air line. If that is the case would it not be a simple matter of connecting
two diodes inline to each valve so that a voltage applied to an output one
way opens one valve (say, raising a cylinder), then reversing the current
shuts that valve off and opens another one? That way you could control one
entire cylinder from one motor port, right? (IE, 3 cylinders per RCX). The
sprue picker is I think three axis (tilt, Y, and C), plus a gripper. It's
really a cute little robot (well, I think so - and I get razzed whenever I
pet the prototype when I walk by it each morning!).

See you,

    Iain