 Robotics / 1004
Re: legOS (-> Interdisciplinary Learning?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 23:28:48 GMT

Folks,

The VB SDK that Lego provide might be OK for a non-technical undergraduate
class, although I'd hesitate to introduce nasty MS VB as a teaching
language.  I'm not up to date on current Logo implementations, but from • what
I know this seems too limited (you can surely do as much, albeit more
slowly, with the Lego software).  SmallTalk seems like a great choice - in
my original mail I was going to suggest MindStorms as a platform for
learning object orientation.  SmallTalk has the nice self-developmental • feel
that you need as well.

Do you have a version of SmallTalk in mind?

There is a Smalltalk (note the small 't') interface to MindStorms and
Cybermaster. It's called Bot-Kit and you can find it at my web page:
http://www.object-arts.com/Bower/Bot-Kit. It's free but requires Dolphin
Smalltalk (Win32 only) which costs $29.95. The current version is beta 0.9
but 1.0 should be available before the week is out.

Best regards

Andy Bower