 Robotics / 10023
RE: Ping-Pong Ball Shooter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:43:35 GMT

The WordMeister wrote:
I like the idea of using wheels to accelerate the balls. I believe when I
was a kid one of my friends had a Hot Wheels car wash or somethingorother
that used the same concept to move the little cars around a Hot Wheels
track. Certainly worth trying. I think the balls are so light, though, that
using several sets of wheels might be pointless--it's not like having to
accelerate a large mass.

Ah, true...  for a Ping-Pong ball you probably don't need a multistage
launcher.  What you would want to do instead is use a pair of the large wide
(flat?) tires and then make some sort of mechanism to push a ball (or drop
it) into the launcher one at a time.  You could also try to rifle your bore
(assuming you have one for improved aiming) to get the best spin for the
shot you are trying to make.

JT