 Publishing / Photography / 301
Re: New Presentation of an old MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:35:27 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.space, Douglas R. Clark wrote:
   Hello,

snip
   I was able to sucessfully cut the viper image from the background though it was very tedious. I suppose better lighting in the original photograph would have made that task a bit easier. Assuming I improve my photography set up, is there a way to get photo shop to “auto-extract” the foreground image?

I’ve had good success using the following method (home-made blue/green screen):

1. find some fabric whose color is not in the model and place model on a big piece of this fabric so that the fabrick forms a “floor” and “back wall” 2. try to evenly illuminate the model or at least have artistic shadows (I like to photograph out on my back “deck”--o.k., it’s a big concrete slab) 3. photograph using different exposure settings and different flash settings 4. find photo that best represents your “vision” 5. scan / upload photo into computer 6. adjust image to taste 7. using the “magic wand” selection tool to automatically select the background 8. now that the background is selected, use the “inverse” item under the “select menu” to select everything that is not currently selected and deselect everything that was selected. 9. copy selection and paste into new document on new layer.

You may still need to manually clean up some of the edges, but this has worked pretty well for me. You will probably want to avoid blacks and grays for your background fabric (also try to use non-shiny fabrics as these often cause reflections when using a flash). I personally use a piece of “neon green” cloth that I picked up for about $5 (found it in the clearance bin at a local fabric store).

Matt