 Publishing / Photography / 244
Re: What camera do you guys use?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 05:33:59 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer wrote:
   My birthday is coming soon, and so I’ve asked for money. I’m saving up for a new camera, and currently my eye is on the

Fuji s602. It has a 6x zoom, extremely fast shutter response and burst rates, a good macro- 1 cm focus (although this has some barrel distortion, I’m planning on eventually buying some close-up filters so I can do macro with no distortion and at full zoom) and a hotshoe.

That’s an impressive looking camera. Perhaps more than you need for Lego photography. If you’ve got a good macro mode then high optical zoom isn’t as much of a necessity - you simply move the camera closer. You might consider getting something less extravagant and spending the balance on Brick :)

I recently got a Canon Powershot A70 and am very happy with it. It has 3x optical zoom, 3Mp and a good macro (5cm) - good enough for Lego. It’s also about half the price of the Fuji s602. I just need to get some daylight bulbs for my lamps rather than the yellowish ones I have now.

A tripod is essential, but I just use one of those tiny desktop ones with the flexible legs for my Lego. A shutter delay is also useful for avoiding shaking the camera when pressing the shutter.

Check out Steve’s Digicams reviews for some of the most comprehensive reviews I’ve found on the net. (He rates the s602 VERY highly by the way :)

   I currently use a Sony P-71, but it simply doesn’t focus close enough and doesn’t have any manual features, such as aperature control, shutter speed, flash sync, etc.

My PSA70 has all this. It has several auto functions, but everything can be set manually as well, including the white balance (another important feature). One small point on white balance too - consider getting a proper photography grey card. They’re inexpensive, but quite useful.

HTH

Allister