 Publishing / HTML / 171
Re: Attributes of the IMG tag used in displaying the LUGNET logo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:23:31 GMT

You would be right about using the target= attribute as a backup if I was
writing to the Transitional DTDs or against the loose URIs. Deprecated means I
can't use the target= attribute in an XML document that validates against the
DTDs for HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 Strict. What I am looking for, if window.open
behaves like target="_blank", is the JavaScript command that behaves like
target="_top" to implement what the admins want for the display of their
buttons and banners while still validating against the Strict DTDs. The
deprecation of the target= attribute is a deliberate choice to separate the
HTML markup from page behavior that affects the user agent.

Constantine Hannaher

In lugnet.admin.general, William R. Ward writes:
"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> writes:

In lugnet.admin.general (and 1 other group), Constantine Hannaher wrote:
As far as the markup for including the LUGNET buttons and banners on a
web page is concerned, the target= attribute of the <a> tag is
deprecated in HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0. While I explore how to replace
the exact functionality of the target="_top" attribute, I will make do
with a JavaScript event handler to open LUGNET in a new page:

onclick="window.open('http://www.lugnet.com/');return false">

but that will only work if the client supports java - if java is
unavailable (for whatever reason), the button will act as a normal link.
Why not put the target tag as a backup for the java?

JavaScript, not Java.  A completely separate and unrelated language.

Note that target="_top" is for frames, to load the page in the
outermost frame (i.e. the whole window).  For a new window, the
correct value is target="_blank".  If you are not in a frame, it will
I believe create a new window.

Deprecated or no, putting in a target attribute is the best way to
implement this functionality, at least for the present time.

--Bill.