 Publishing / HTML / 173
Re: Attributes of the IMG tag [and A tag] used in displaying the LUGNET logo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:21:13 GMT

Er, I'll take as a valid point from between your non-standards-based rant tags
that a web page should not need a user agent with scripting active to be
usable. If I have understood the W3C's recommendations on this point, and all
I'm trying to do with these posts is share my struggle with how "plain HTML" is
changing, a user agent with scripting disabled should provide a similar
funtionality without relying on HTML markup. In this situation, with scripting
disabled, a user confronted with a link that deserves its own window is
expected to select Open (Link) in New Window from the contextual menu or other
tool of the user agent for that purpose, and the HTML should not be burdened
with any browser window spawning tasks. Web page authors validating against one
of the older DTDs like HTML 2.0 and HTML 3.2 (even HTML 4.0 is considered old,
as a DOCTYPE invoking it is treated under quirks mode by the newest browsers)
are free to continue using the deprecated tags and attributes, but that
doesn't happen to be what I'm trying to do.

Constantine Hannaher

In lugnet.publish.html, Frank Filz writes:
Constantine Hannaher wrote:

You would be right about using the target= attribute as a backup if I was
writing to the Transitional DTDs or against the loose URIs. Deprecated means • I
can't use the target= attribute in an XML document that validates against • the
DTDs for HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0 Strict. What I am looking for, if • window.open
behaves like target="_blank", is the JavaScript command that behaves like
target="_top" to implement what the admins want for the display of their
buttons and banners while still validating against the Strict DTDs. The
deprecation of the target= attribute is a deliberate choice to separate the
HTML markup from page behavior that affects the user agent.

<rant>
My only thought on this whole thing is why is the world seeming to force
everyone to use scripted web pages? What on earth is wrong with just
plain HTML? I often prefer to run with scripting disabled either because
it is so buggy on some browsers I use (at work I use Netscape 3 because
in their infinite wisdom of thinking they know how I want to view the
world, my preferred window arrangement for mail and news is gone), or
just out of a preference of having more control over my web viewing
(like not getting trapped by those "we're going to open our advertising
windows faster than you can close them so you can't even look at the web
site you were interested in, or anything else").
</rant>

Frank