 Administrative / General / 9853
Re: Attributes of the IMG tag used in displaying the LUGNET logo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:13:19 GMT

The target= attribute is deprecated in HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0. If I, for
whatever reason of vanity and the like, choose to write an XML document that
validates against the strict DTDs, then I cannot use the target= attribute. You
are correct that the event handler will only work when JavaScript is enabled in
the user agent. However, the W3C's position seems to be that for those user
agents without the JavaScript functionality, it is up to the user (through a
selection on a context menu like Open in New Window) to choose how the link
operates. But thanks for responding, Dan. I'm planning to do more study of
JavaScript to see if there's a command like window.rewrite but if it is a
problem for the admins that I do not use the target="_top" (even though I
don't use frames at my web space), I will remove the buttons and banners.

Constantine Hannaher

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
In lugnet.admin.general (and 1 other group), Constantine Hannaher wrote:
As far as the markup for including the LUGNET buttons and banners on a
web page is concerned, the target= attribute of the <a> tag is
deprecated in HTML 4.01 and XHTML 1.0. While I explore how to replace
the exact functionality of the target="_top" attribute, I will make do
with a JavaScript event handler to open LUGNET in a new page:

onclick="window.open('http://www.lugnet.com/');return false">

but that will only work if the client supports java - if java is
unavailable (for whatever reason), the button will act as a normal link.
Why not put the target tag as a backup for the java?

Dan