 Publishing / 4624
Re: Copyright question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:48:45 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Ronald Vallenduuk wrote:
Nearly four months ago I sent an email to Jake McKee about his book
'Getting started with Lego trains'. Part of the email was about errors
in the book, but I also asked this question:

What's the status of the pictures of original Lego sets? I don't see
any copyright note about them. There is no mention in the photo
credits nor in the general copyright section at the start of the book.
Does that mean anyone who wants to write a book about Lego can use
pictures of sets and minifigs without any copyright problems? Or is
this the result of your close connection with Lego?

Since Jake never bothered to answer I wonder if anyone else at Lego
could comment on this?

Well, since you asked so nicely.... ;)

Sorry I missed this the first time around. I get so much email and try to read
so many postings that I don't get to process as much as I would like.

First off, let me say that my book was as much about helping new fans get into
trains as it was about getting a view inside the process of writing a book in
order to help resolve some of the issues and questions - hopefully clearing the
way for other AFOLs to make books of their own. I've found a number of issues in
the process and am working to resolve them as we speak.

There are some basic guidelines, however, that have been in place for a while.

Using models you have bought, built, and photographed is not a problem. Taking
images of built sets or boxes off of legoshop.com, for instance is not OK. (The
same way taking pictures of your Ford Mustang is fine, but taking pictures of
the same car on the ford.com Web site is not OK)

Also, it is not kosher to use the box art in your design work. Taking a picture
of a group of boxes, or the model in front of the box is fine. But using the box
art design work to design a Web site interface, for instance, is not OK.

Hope this helps. I'll be posting some more in-depth info in the coming months
that should help even more.

Are you thinking about doing a book of your own?

And again, my apologies for missing your original question.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison