 Publishing / 3886
Re: Camera ?'s
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 25 Dec 2002 00:21:26 GMT

"John Henry Kruer" <jhkruer@yahoo.com> writes:
In lugnet.publish, William R. Ward writes:
Personally I leave my camera set to 640x480 most of the time, though
it can do 1024x768 (1.3 megapixels).  That's all you need if you're
just going to post it on the web.  Higher resolution (i.e. more
megapixels) is only needed if you want to print the pictures on paper
or show them on a monitor locally - for the web, they're too big (in
terms of bytes). • [...]
The primary use of high-res images for me on the internet is to crop out
sections, making very nice close-ups.

Doing film photography I learned that it's best to do your cropping
when you take the picture, rather than afterward.  So I try to compose
all my pictures how I want them in the end, without cropping.  Not
that I always succeed, and sometimes it isn't possible to zoom tight
enough for instance.

[...]
We're both right.
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/Glossary/Digital_Imaging/Digital_zoom_01.htm

Digital zoom can be cropping out the center OR interloping a section to make
it larger.  That's why on my camera, you can digital zoom on highest-res
images.  But you said your camera is old, so maybe that's why you'rs has a
'cropping' zoom.

Ah, interesting.  I didn't know that.

[...]
Depends on how technical you want to get.  My camera has the
tree/flower setting and several flash modes, and that's enough for my
purposes - I get much better results with my digital than I do with my
old manual-focus Minolta SLR's.

Well... it depends on the conditions.

And on one's skill with the SLR, which I'll admit are not the best in
my case :-)  Someday I'll take a photography class and figure out how
to use that thing correctly...

[...]
My camera uses 1750mAh NiMH batteries,and I have to say that I like them a
lot.  Very useful things, only they take 13 hours to charge.  I have 3 sets
of them around, so there's always power around.

I only have 2 sets of batteries, but it's enough for my purposes.
They take about 8-10 hours to charge I believe.  But if I don't use
the flash or the preview screen, I can go for weeks on end without
charging.  When I went to Germany last year I was gone for 12 days and
took hundres of pictures without recharging once.

[...]
Mine didn't require software to use the USB.  The software it came with was
pretty bad, and was way to slow and cumbersome.  I just use windows
explorer.  But I still use USB... my parents don't want to get anything better.

If you have a new enough version of Windows to support that, then I
suppose that works fine.  But if you want to use another OS, or an
older version of Windows, you might have problems.  I think it's still
true that PCMCIA is more readily compatible with more computers,
assuming they have a PCMCIA slot that is...

--Bill.

        Consistency is not really a human trait.
                         --Maude (from the film "Harold & Maude")