 Publishing / 3777
Re: Unviewable page, useless warning (Was: UCS TIE Crawler)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:45:52 GMT

In lugnet.publish, William R. Ward writes:
"Sproaticus" <jeremy@sproat.us> writes:
Oh, and unless you have actual numbers to back up your claim of .01 percent,
I'm going to stick to my 99.99% claim.  :-,

I don't have actual numbers, but the vast majority of users are using
IE and never even look at their configuration settings.  It's only a
small minority of power users (like you and me) who take pleasure in
adjusting the preferences for software.  Most people dread the
prospect of configuring their computers, and have no concept of
security risks...

I checked stats on my site (just my stuff, since the site actually has some
more techhie content elsewhere)-- about 86% of the last 500K+ hits were
MSIE, 12% Netscape/Mozilla. Most of the rest were bots, or things like
Scooter, Opera, etc. If I had to guess, I'd probably say maybe 10 people in
a hundred know what things like the Javascript settings do, and probably 1
in a hundred of *them* (maybe fewer, I dunno), actually bother to turn off
Javascript. So, 0.1% would be my guess?

Here at work ... [does math] ... about 0.04% of our clients have complained
that we require Javascript-- which actually translates to about 0.02% actual
end users.

Maybe I oughtta put up a hidden frame on all my pages that requests a 2nd
hit-counter page if Javascript is enabled and get a more accurate statistic :)

DaveE