 Publishing / 2991
Re: Cool
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.publish
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:08:01 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Lane writes:
Here is an excerpt from an e-mail I got today concerning my Technic website

'Dear GeoCities Member:

Congratulations, http://www.geocities.com/steveroblane is
very popular and has been receiving a large amount of traffic. Your
site has become so popular, in fact, that our records indicate that
you're using more than the allotted amount of data transfer we provide
for a free web site, which is 3GB/month (measured on an hourly basis).

In the past we have not enforced that limit, so your site has been
uneffected thus far. However, shortly, all free member sites
transferring more than the allowable data limit will be disabled
for portions of the day until usage falls to within the prescribed
limits.
'

How cool is that. Although breaking the data limit could be because of the
various mpegs on the site.

Well congratulations! As Jennifer Clark once told me, "Ah, the price of fame".

I've had many problems with this issue too. Back in August, I had to move my
site to a real web host that wouldn't shut my site down when the bandwidth
capacity was exceeded. After getting CLSOTW, I had one day with 1.3 GB of
traffic! It's calmed down quite a bit since then, and I think my daily
average is around 40 MB.

Good luck with your site. If you need any suggestions on good webhosts, just
ask in the lugnet.publish group. Also, do a search for webhost because this
has been discussed before.

TJ

p.s. I wonder if Dennis Bosman is having the same problems too? He has a lot
of pics and I'm sure his site receives a ton of traffic.