 Publishing / 2643
Re: Digital Camera: Which one?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:17:11 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Jonathan Lopes writes:
I am interested in buying a digital camera & know nothing about them. I do
know what I want though, as in results. I have a MAC performer 6400 & a MAC
G4, either/or would be used with the camera. I am looking to post pictures
(obviously) on Brickshelf & EBAY etc. I want really good quality pix though,
I definetly don't want my *blues* to look *purple* etc, but don't know if
that involves the camera or the editing software. Can anyone give me ideas
on which camere to purchase? Do I need software as well? Can I do it with
just a camera? My budget is $500 & under, preferably under.
I apologize if this has been addressed before (I'm sure it has).

Wow. We need an FAQ for this. 8)

OK, here is my advice:

1) Don't buy a camera you haven't used in the flesh.  This is the most
important piece, because there really is no substitute for trying it out,
to get the feel of the interface and the like.

2) There are a couple of sites that let you put in parameters to help you
decide what kind of camera is good for you.  One of them is the Active
Buyer's Guide at http://www.digitalcameras.activebuyersguide.com

3) I personally have a Nikon CP800 which is pretty good - any
discolorations in my photos are the result of taking them in crummy
lighting conditions (I tend not to use flash because of the glare) and I
don't bother to put the time and effort in to fix them.  Several people
(including Todd & Suzanne) have had very good results with the Mavica,
too.

Honestly, I think *most* digital cameras are going to be decent for
photographing LEGO.  If you want to do a lot of detail shots you're going
to want one that can focus on very close objects.

One thing to pay attention to is the batteries used.  Digital cameras suck
them up like no tomorrow.  I personally prefer ones that use regular
batteries rather than a pack - the CP800 uses AAs - because if my
rechargables run dry I can just go into a store and buy some AAs until I
can get the NiCads back to the charger.  Can't do that if it's a special
battery pack - and the packs are usually *very* expensive. Whatever you
do, strongly consider getting two sets of rechargables - that way one can
be charging while you're running the others down.  Oh, and get yourself an
AC adaptor - I always have my camera plugged into the wall when taking
LEGO pics or downloading pictures, to save on batteries.  Not as useful
when you're taking the camera out sightseeing or something, but it's nice
for LEGO stuff.

For taking LEGO pics, you'll probably also want to consider getting a
tripod.  It makes it a lot easier to get a clear, defined picture
especially in bad lighting (where the camera is going to have to expose
for a longer time to get the picture).

4) As for software, most digital cameras come with some form of image
editing software.  However, as a fellow Mac user, I must *strongly*
recommend a shareware program called 'Cameraid', available from
www.cameraid.com.  Not only does it make downloading pics through the
serial port *much* faster, it can do batch processing of your photos to
rename, resize, lossless rotation, even alter coloration. And it's only
$15. Well worth every penny.  Professional-level quality.  OK, I've raved
enough. Remember it, get it, you won't be sorry.

I hope this helps!