 Publishing / 2452
Re: New Poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 21:52:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Loch writes:
You mean it recorded additional votes by hitting reload (without exiting
browser or clearing cache)?  It shouldn't do that.

Ya.  I think I just hit the Reload button and it reposted the form.

It doesn't let you
vote if you don't get a ballot cookie from the home page (therefore cookies
are working), and When you vote you get a poll cookie so you can't vote again
on that poll (unless you dump all cookies).  How did you do it?

At some point I turned off new cookies.  It might have been after the entry
page, or it might have had the old cookie from earlier.

Hmm, weird.  Something else I just noticed.  Just now when it gave me the
results page,

   http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/poll.cgi?poll=4&vote=4

I resized my window wider so I could see the bars, and it increased the Google
number from 10 to 11.  I think it was 9 before that.  OK, I just resized the
window again, and the Google number changed from 11 to 12.  I'm not doing
anything weird here -- just resizing the window.  For some reason my browser
appears to be re-fetching the page from the webserver rather than from its
local cache.  OK, I told it to accept cookies again, and now it stopped
incrementing -- presumably because it sees the ballot cookie and ignores the
subsequent votes.

--Todd

[followups to .publish]