 Publishing / 225
Re: Instruction scans (was Re: #6662 tractor with backhoe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 00:19:32 GMT

"Selçuk " wrote:

Uhm...was I so much disturbing?..:-/

I just thought that you are a well known train-lover-big-buyer so you may have
all the train instructiions, more than that, I just wanted to made a simple
joke...sorry about that...:-( I didn't wanted to offend you...never..

No offense taken, no need for apology!!!! In part, I posted that list to
see how fast I could. It was very easy to pull the info together,
because Todd added the column in the set listings you get back from
multiple hits that shows whether there are instructions or not. Before
he did that, you would have had to have two windows open, one with the
kl.net/scans/4000 directory, and one with the list from the Pause DB and
cross correlate.

My scanner is some no name brand (Digital Research) but I got it for 39
bucks so what the heck...

Someone pointed out that Digital Research is hardly a No Name brand. I
agree that the DR of CPM fame is not(1). However, this is a different
firm (Digital Research TECHNOLOGIES)...

As to the 39 bucks, it was a combination of an in store rebate and a
mail in... 129 down to 89, then 20 off, then 30 rebate. I got it to scan
something today but not on my laptop, only on the gateway... Laptop is
complaining of incompatible TWAIN drivers. Sigh.

1 - there is a story, perhaps apocryphal, that Gary Kildal (I think that
was his name) refused to take a meeting with Jim Cannavino, IBM VP of
the group that Phil Estridge(2) reported into, because he wanted to play
golf instead. So Cannavino didn't buy/license DR's OS for the PC and
went to Bill Gates instead, and the rest, as they say, is history.

2 - Phil of course, was the IBM manager who purportedly was told to shut
up about the potential of the PC so many times that he finally was given
a small team of disaffected engineers and a small budget and told to go
away. That team came back with the IBM PC and most of the architecture
flaws are due to the budget size, they had to go with off the shelf
stuff... Phil Estridge died in the big Delta crash some time ago,
unfortunately.
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.