 Promotional / 689
Re: Red Tiger promo on US Airways
Newsgroups:
lugnet.promo
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 22:25:29 GMT

"Alan Demlow" <demlow@lightlink.com> wrote in message
news:Pine.GSU.4.30.0102061442120.10298-100000@adore.lightlink.com...
Hi.  I flew internationallylast week on US Airways, and they offered a
Lego set in the duty free catalog.  It's called Red Tiger Air Show or
something like that (no set # given) and came with a small tool cart, a
refueling truck, and a plane. There were 3 minifigs, and I'd guess 100-120
pieces, for $24 (yuck!).  It had red tiger stickers on the tail fins.
Anybody hear of this before?  I may buy one on my return flight, although
I HATE the idea of spending $24 for a fairly yucky, small-looking set.
Please reply via e-mail as well as to the group as I believe my Web access
will be limited.

Alan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- • --
Alan Demlow |demlow@lightlink.com |www.lightlink.com/demlow/sale/trade.txt

This is the 2774 Air Show set (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/2774).  It has
been offered by SAS, Quantas, and most recently by American Airlines.  $24
seems to be the standard price, that is what both SAS and American had it
for.  It is no longer in the AA duty free catalog (I was on a AA
international flight last week), apparently AA ended it at the end of
December according to one of the flight attendants.

It is not what I would term a "yucky" set at all, it is for the most part, a
old style Town set.  No BURPs, no SPUDs, a nice design.  It actually has a
fairly detailed engine compartment that is complete covered up by the rear
cover.

One thing you may run into on your return flight is they may not have any.
It has been my experience that some of the non-alcohol and non-tobacco items
on the duty free cart only get stocked on one end of the flight.  Assuming
(big assumption here I admit) that you flew from the US to somewhere else on
USAir, you will return from somewhere else back to the US sometime soon.
USAir may only stock their cart in the US and if someone purchased the one
or two (it has been my experience that SAS, BA, and AA never stocked more
than two of the LEGO sets they offered) that were available, there may not
have any more when you return.  This happened to me on several British Air
flights between London and Stockholm.

Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.nclug.net/ctb - Carolina Train Builders