 Pirates / 893
892  |  894
Subject:
Pirate Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 13:42:24 GMT

This weekend I finally sat down and started on my "Red Seas Barracuda".
My original intent for the RSB was to use Red Beard Runner hulls, and
build a ship using the BSB directions but using dark grey instead of
black as much as possible, and red instead of yellow, and green trim.

Some discoveries I made:

In my parts bins, I have a pretty good selection of dark grey except:

- NO 1x2 bricks
- NO 1x3 plates
- very few 1x6 plates
- NO 1x10 plates

I knew I was going to have a problem with the 1x2x3 inverse extreme
slopes used in the window frame.

What I ended up doing because the limitation of dark grey was to put a
white band around the windows and make the poop deck railings white
(perhaps the captain's parrot has been taking the term poop deck a
little bit too much to hear?). Once I did this, I realized that I had
definitely made the right choice in leaving the white band along the
hull (by my original plan, I actually should have made that green).

I made some modifications to the ship:

- The gun deck has 3 gun ports on each side (part of my motivation is to
run Steve Jackson's Pirate Game, a BSB size ship will mount 7 cannon,
with the side firing cannon being able to be moved from side to side as
I understand - this is something I'm not absolutely clear on).

- I moved the masts so those platforms on the side which mate with the
ratlines line up properly (the bracing there is supposed to support the
mast stays in a real ship).

- I moved the gun port just fore of the rear cabin forward one stud so a
cannon can actually use it.

- I decked over the bow area, and have mounted two cannon on swivels.

- I lowered the rear windows a bit (which helps line up the colors
better the way I did the white band), and modified the inside decking of
the cabin so that a cannon can be placed in the cabin and fire out any
of the windows)

- I put a trap door in the floor of the cabin.

- I enclosed the areas under the 4 trap doors on the main deck so that
cargo (or prisoners) can be put in there without having to play "shake
the coin bank to get the money out".

I haven't finished the project yet, so no pictures yet. I still need to
build the spars and rig the ship. I will be using the new 1x4 plate with
rod pointing down to have the spars be studs on top so that crew can
stand on the spars. I also need to add a few details to the cabin (I do
have a little yellow table which doubles as a handle to lift up the trap
door).

What will be interesting to see is how well the 42 crew the Pirate Game
specifies as a starting crew will fit.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com