 Pirates / 871
Re: washing pirate sails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 13:36:17 GMT

marco berti wrote:

In lugnet.pirates, Steve Duhoski writes:
Hi to everyone.  I just picked up a used SES and BSB and both sets of sails
could use a cleaning.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  I don't want to take
any chances and ruin the sails before the ships are built.  I thought I might
try using Woolite or some other mild cleaner, but I'm not sure.  I searched • the
forum but didn't find any useful info. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

steve

Hi Steve

I have washed many sails using a mild whool cleaner and warm water. You will
have to iron the sails once dried.
My wife was amazed to watch me ironing something :)

I have used liquid dish detergent with good effect. I also ran some
sails in Pine-Sol, but that wasn't wise (I now have a few aged sails). I
have also ironed the sails to great effect. I usually use the lowest
temperature setting, but I suspect a higher setting would be ok.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com