 Pirates / 857
Re: How much are Blue soldiers worth?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 20:54:03 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
[snip]
... Loonies at auczilla have paid as much for a ... backpack
as I do for the entire figure.

Now, wait a second, I'm one of those so-called loonies,
and I'd like to object (just as soon as I can figure out
how to get out of this straightjacket ;-)

The reason I was willing to pay a rather high price
on AucZilla for some of those Backpacks,
and the reason I'd (probably) do the same
for some Shako Hats, is that once I get a Trooper minifig,
whether Redcoat or Bluecoat, I'm not disassembling him!
("No disassemble! No disassemble!" -- trivia points
if you can give movie reference ;-)

Thus, if I'm not gonna disassemble a complete Trooper 'fig
(notice that I did *not* mention the Officer/Lieutenant 'figs...),
then the only way to get extra backpacks and/or shako hats
is to get them from other sources.

Now, you may ask *why* would I need extra shako hats,
and the answer is rather simple: I have *extra* Troopers
that are only *partially* complete; i.e., they're missing
their shako hats.  (And, no, not quite all of them
started out as surplus Lieutenants... some of them, yes,
perhaps even *several*, but not quite *all* of 'em...)

And, as far as the backpacks go,
I'd like to be able to use brown backpacks with some
of my custom kit-bashed (modern/near-future) military 'figs.
I also use the dark grey backpacks (from the SW Speeder Bike sets),
but the military 'figs I make using dark grey torsos
look a whole lot better with a brown backpack
than with a dark grey backpack.

Thanks,
Franklin

In lugnet.pirates, Franklin W. Cain writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
[snip]
... Loonies at auczilla have paid as much for a ... backpack
as I do for the entire figure.

Now, wait a second, I'm one of those so-called loonies,
and I'd like to object (just as soon as I can figure out
how to get out of this straightjacket ;-)

Aha!  I knew I'd flush some of the deep-pocketed scoundrels out.  :-)

[...]

Yes, but I figured out the false economy of that.  You buy a Shako for $3.  And
a Backpack for $3.  Six bucks.  Or buy a complete figure for $5 (not that I
pay that much), and sell the stripped figure for a minimum of $2.  I can see $1
per BP or shako, maybe $1.50, but after that, It's just cheaper to buy the
whole fig and sell off what doesn't match up evenly.

And, as far as the backpacks go,
I'd like to be able to use brown backpacks with some
of my custom kit-bashed (modern/near-future) military 'figs.
I also use the dark grey backpacks (from the SW Speeder Bike sets),
but the military 'figs I make using dark grey torsos
look a whole lot better with a brown backpack
than with a dark grey backpack.

Thanks,
Franklin

My extra soldiers without backpack and shako actually aren't sold.  I give them
a white or gray backpack, white epaulettes and white pith helmet.  A bit
Victorian rather than Napoleonic, much less Golden Age of Piracy, but I like
the variation.

Bruce

Re: How much are Blue soldiers worth?
("No disassemble! No disassemble!" -- trivia points
if you can give movie reference ;-)

Sure.  Short Circuit, starring the immoratal "Johnny 5."
-Chris, who needs more input...

Re: How much are Blue soldiers worth?