 Pirates / 4094
Re: 4+ Pirate Sets in North America!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:32:52 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Sean Forbes wrote:
In lugnet.pirates, Johannes Koehler wrote:
All of the other sets are inexpensive too - just imagine all those parts!

Well, most of those parts are useless dirt, way too big and un-versatile and
newcoloured anyway. In any case not worth spending EUR 80 for just some red
spindled fences and scimitars.

SNIP

Erm.. You are reffering to the 4+ Pirates with "the good sets", are you?
Honestly, Captain Redbeard's Pirate Ship is blushing in shame compared to the
Black Seas Barracuda 6285. Even the Red Beard Runner 6289 (harhar, they are
quite inventive when it comes to names...) is better than this pile of POOPs.

Here's to inexpensive 4+ Pirates for the rest of the world, too!

Skål!

Bye
Jojo

Well having put together the big ship in preparation for a round of Evil
Stevie's Pirate game at Northwest BrickCon (shameless plug) I can say that yes,
when it comes to versatility, there's a little left to be desired.  However,
having only paid $40(US) at the Lego store and taking about 20-30 minutes to put
it together, there's nothing better for the Pirate game.

However, the base is solid and your average builder can put a heck of a lot more
customization on top of that base.  Besides the fore and aft castle, there's not
much in the way of lumps.  However, comparing it to the classic sets simply
cannot be done.  That's why they put the huge "4+" on the front.    =P

-Sean

Sorry for the confusion - I was referring to all of the sets as a whole, not
just the big ship.  It's difficult to see what a kit is actually like with the
smallish pictures Lego has on their site.  Having actually built one, Sean, you
can see what it's like.  It was late that night and I was tired - I guess I
wasn't thinking too straight.  Are the new 4+ sets as good as the old classic
sets?  No.  Do they have many useful pieces that can be used to make the new
sets better?  Yes!

I'm just happy Lego has released ANY new pirate sets - many of those pieces
(muskets, rowboats, treasure chests etc..) have been pretty scarce since 1997!

Thanks everyone, for posting.

Aaron :)