 Pirates / 4071
Re: Set 7075 JacStone Pirate Ship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:15:17 GMT

In lugnet.reviews, Arne Lykke Nielsen wrote:
   Well, I’ve waited some months, but finally this ship was on deep discount.

Thanks for posting the review. I’ve been wanting to find out more about this vessel, but unwilling to part with hard earned cash (so far) for it.

   First: it IS a JacStone set, so as expected, there are ugly figs and lots of big pieces. It’s intended for 4-year old kids, and indeed there is hardly anything in it that is interesting for anyone older than 4 years.

I’m interesting in taking the dremel equivalent to the figs and salvaging the headgear for minifigs...

   But I would rather focus on the positive things: The hull pieces are 20 studs wide, making this the biggest ship to date. The bottom of the hull pieces is soft plastic, as this ship is expected to float on water (read: tipping over on water - lacks bottom-weights). There is only one middle-section hull piece, so you’ll have to buy 2 or 3 sets to make a decent looking longer ship.

It would be good to get some pics of the hull pieces in various configurations (or even just the standard one). How are they joined - JS style technic pegs or 4x2 bricks (or something else)?

   The railings are unfortunately larger pieces, only useable for this one purpose.

Do you mean by one purpose as railings for this ship only, or as railings only?

   The masts are better than I expected. There are 3 elements: bottom mast, top mast, boom. The connection of the boom on the mast is by a seperate click-piece, making the booms moveable horisontally, but not vertically.

That sounds good.

   And the final good thing: no stickers!!!

Absolutely!

   And all the bad things about this ship: no details in the model whatsoever, one-piece bow-deck, one-piece stern-deck, one-piece cabin, one bad (and 2 decent) sail, ugly “cannon”.

Is there more than one cannon? I think not...

   If you are willing to put a lot of work and a lot of elements into customizing, this COULD be changed into a fine looking big-bottomed merchant vessel.

I’d love to have a go. They’ve got down to A$80... but that’s 60c/pc... I’d be very tempted at $A40, though.

   Conclusion:I would not recommend buying this, unless you get it on VERY deep discount, and really want to build something with those hull pieces.

I note there’s no inventory on peeron for this set yet... I hope that someone inventories it soon (hey, there’s only 132 pieces after all, it’s not going to be a huge job!).

Cheers

Richie Dulin