 Pirates / 3977
Re: HMS Kestrel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 02:06:55 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Aaron Walsh wrote:
   Hello everyone! I have been visiting Lugnet for over 4 years now, and just recently became a member.

I wanted to show everyone my new ship (well, two-year old ship, actually) - HMS Kestrel.

You can see her here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=88222

His Majesty’s Schooner Kestrel is a 13 gun schooner (I’ve added a pivot cannon to the foc’sle since these photos were taken), built especially for anti-pirate patrols. While this is an exceptionally large schooner, it was not unheard of for naval schooners to be this size, especially as their large crews could handle the extra-large main and mizzen sails.

IIRC Captain (or was it Admiral?) Hornblower was aboard one for a while.

   I’ve made some modifications to the ship since these photos were taken. Both boats are now grey (from the Adventurers line), the grey pieces at the bow are now all black, the swivel guns are smaller, as well as other minor cosmetic changes. I’ve yet to make sails, however when I do so I will post > new photos with sails and all of the changes I’ve made.

The masts are NOT glued, and the rigging is made from black embroidery floss passed in and out of the ship’s hull to make it stronger. The masts have never fallen, and will not do so - they’re stronger than they look, and just like real masts if the mast is pulled in one direction, the rigging on the opposite side grows taunt, and vice-versa.

I hope everyone likes it - if you have any questions or comments, please let > me know!

This is an amazing vessel. Between this and Ben’s USS Constitution, I have to ask - is the era of pirate hulls over?

And nice rigging too... inspirational stuff.

A pleasure to spyglass this (I might redo, the spyglass pic didn’t turn out too well).

Cheers

Richie Dulin