 Pirates / 3895 (-10)
  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) Nice work! (uses leet hacking skills to see rest of pics) Clean lines, sloping done to perfection etc. So is it a ghost ship or have you crewed it yet? ;) (...) I'm no help on the accuracy side of things, I generally only take a cursory look (...) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) respectfully, my reference books say that the term "sloop" is very ambiguous. originally, it had meant a single masted vessel, but that definition changhed over time. the definition of a "sloop of war" is a vessel captained by an officer with (...) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) Or brigantine, technically, since the mainsail itself is gaff-rigged. Here's a page that explains: (URL) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

(...) Here's some constructive criticism to start with, Steve: A "sloop" is by definition a single masted ship (with one jib). Your ship is actually a brig. Another thing you may want to change is the mast heights. The mainmast should be higher than (...) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  her majesty's new sloop! HMS Tempest has arrived!

well, with Orion being a rather ageing man of war, she sailed back to England to be refit. as a replacement, the Admiralty sent out the first of the newest class of sloop, HMS Tempest. (URL) her design is a vast improvement over the prior ships. she (...) (20 years ago, 15-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, lugnet.announce, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX)

  Re: Report: ISS Advatange Refit

(...) Yep. Been away from .pirates for a few days... Advantage is being spyglassed too... (about two minutes away) I just came upon the Victoria first... but they'll both be there in a moment! Cheers Richie Dulin (3 URLs) (20 years ago, 13-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: Report: ISS Advatange Refit

(...) You can go larger than minifig - many ships had figureheads that were 'larger than life' (in many senses of that term). I find a minifig head, on a 2x1 tile (with one stud) on two headlight bricks, with 2 1x1 round plates as breasts works (...) (20 years ago, 13-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: Report: ISS Advatange Refit

Richie, since you're on and about to do some spyglassing for the Victoria, could you spyglass the [now refitted] Advantage again and link it to this thread? The older pictures are no longer current. Thanks! :) (20 years ago, 13-May-04, to lugnet.pirates)

  Re: Report: ISS Advatange Refit

(...) This is sound advice. I recall a seller who consistently mispelled 'pirate' as 'priate'... I picked up a few bits and pieces ;-) If you're building ships, you don't need complete sets... if you've got the hull pieces, masts and ratlines, it (...) (20 years ago, 13-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

  Re: HMS Victoria

(...) Ahoy! 32 guns? Nice work getting so many guns in! And very nice work on the sterncastle... I'll swing the old spyglass onto her shortly! Cheers Richie Dulin (3 URLs) (20 years ago, 13-May-04, to lugnet.pirates, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact