 Pirates / 3635
Re: 10040 Black Sea Baracuda
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:06:40 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Rivai Salim wrote:
Wahooo!!!
I finally got my lego 10040 Black Sea Baracuda (re-release).
I have been wishing to be able to get the original set (6285) back in
1989, but I was not able to afford it back then.

This set is really amazing. It took me about +-6 hours to put it
together and it's a pleasent experience to build this huge set. This is
the second pirate ships that I have (first 6290) and 10040 really stand
out with it's details.

Pro:
10040 contains much more moveable parts then I expected. The cabin very
roomy and more accessible compare to 6290.  The addition of open able
windows and 2 double wooden door is a very nice touch to the cabin. The
hull is pack with canons on each sides and lot's of open able doors to
access cargo area on lower deck which is a must have for schooners.  The
ability to hoist/lower the anchor is also a nice addition that 6290
doesn't have.  This set also comes with more sails and makes this
schooner looks much more better/powerful compare to 6290.

Contra:
- The string for pulley that is included in this set is not long enough!!!
I end up cut of my 6290 pulleys string in half just for the sack of it!
(Hope Lego notice about this and included a longer string for next
production!!)
- The instruction manual doesn't tell which string use for which parts.
The old manual indicate the string's length, but the new one doesn't!
- This set also need a working pulley like 6290. (If only I have a
longer string, I could tight it up to anchor's winch. So the pulley
rises as I anchor down and vise versa.)

Don't get me wrong I really like this pirate ships, the string issue can
be easily taken cared I guess you can simply use any string to replace
it if there isn't any other option for you.

Overall this is a great pirate ship. It really stands up to its
reputation as a Lego Legend.  I'm very glad that lego decided to
re-release this set. I really hope that other pirate sets will get its
chance for re-release.

Anyway, anyone else get their 10040 Black Sea Baracuda here,?

Share your opinion/comment here.

Much much later ... 10040

Finally got around to putting this together this -
It does look great when finished.
The pirates though are likely to be overwhelmed by the massed ranks
of imperial soldiers who have got fed up waiting for their own ship to come in
;) No hope for them especially when the cannons are found to have been spiked

Anyhow, the strings - even when i had it right i still wasn't convinced.
Maybe I'm still wrong.
What's with the string tied at the rear (aft:) ?
I can't see how it can possibly NOT just pull the lamp off - the round or
cone part will not stay long on the single-stud 1x2 with or without the monkey
fooling around up above ... or am i doing something wrong ?

RW