 Pirates / 3242
Re: my British squadron
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:05:25 GMT

If it's a British squadron, you needn't worry -- I always blame my shortage
of manpower on the fact that the small population of Britain is crewing the
LARGEST and MOST SUCCESSFUL fleet of the period, and arguably the most
successful relative to its circumstances in history.

*cough* ; )

I agree with you. not only do i not speak french or spanish, i dont like
eaither fleet. at Trafalgar, while the British crews cheered, the spanish and
french crews prayed.

Caugh*

I recommend gunboats also; I'm pretty sure you can make them any size you
want, so long as there's a gun and a couple of oars. Large ones were
ocean-sailing as well.

Yeah, the Privateer fleet will get gunboats, which will stay close to their
base, the wreck of the French frigate Poulette.

For quite a while I had that problem; my solution was to build of bricks and
build much bigger...

My 20-gun sloop was the first attempt, HMS Flame, though she lacked the
curves. HM Cutter Friendly, still in commission, is my SNOTed pride...
though I'm thinking for a larger squadron, these piece-hogging techniques
are useless.

I do, however, have something that might for guns... other than the chaser
off Flame that Richie pointed out:

A Carronade (correct shape, wrong color, but oh well) and a 12 pounder (my
relative scale, more like a 24-pounder if your LEGO cannon are 35s).

As to other components... I tend to meddle, but my stores haven't run out on
those yet. Though hopefully, they soon will... : )

On the other thread you've mentioned Bomb Ketches (You're thinking about
Hornblower in Russia, eh? That was my favorite...), I'd recommend you had a
look at something about Nelson at Copenhagen in 1802 -- he had a squadron of
bombs with him, and though his job was to capture and not sink the Dutch
fleet... well... things got interesting. He coined the phrase "Turn a blind
eye" and all. Good fun, and might be helpful to you!

Yes, i have read about that. like when hornblower went after the Frenchman, and
let the rest of the squadron go after the spanish treasure fleet in Horblower
and the Hotspur.

Yeah, im still contemplating what to make my bomb out of. im using x-wing
engines for mortars.

Good luck with the squadron, I'll look forward to seeing more. The oceans
are filling up fast with squadrons... somebody's going to have to get a map
going!

Kenneth Tam
Captain of the Post
Brickley's Cove
http://members.rogers.com/brickleyscove/Home.htm
Thanks for your help,

Commander Horatio Hornblock of HM sloop Goldfinch

My plot:
orders: Your Excellency  Sir Hornblock is hereby requested and required to
proceed with utmost speed to the Azores, Atlantic ocean.
Shipments of Cordage, Pitch, and other ship valuables have been captured by a
fleet of French Privateers amongst the Azores, which are a stop for the
Merchantmen to refill on water and other perishables.
They work out of the wreck of the 50-gun ship Poulette, beached on west Azores
in 1798. Destroy this port at any cost. Your Excellency is being transferred
Vesuvius, Bomb Ketch, Commander Jyland. Also, your Excellency will be
transferred the brig Trial, Captain Norfolk, for dispatches between England and
your squadron.
There is, as your Exellency knows, a slave revolt in Azores. The people of
Azores are threatening to turn to the French if British ships do them harm.
They
also harbor the Privateers, considering themselves Neutral.
You are also requested and required to stop as much slave trade as possible,
especially the following ships;
Cerburus
Tapperheten
Hurriant
These ships have been illegally transferring slaves around the South American
coasts and looting villages for stores.
If encountered, to not destroy. Capture at all costs. Officers to be brought
back to England with all speed capable.
Also, the merchantman Indifant will be accompanying you, Captain Sir Sparre. On
board is the displaced Prince of the Canary Islands. Your Excellency will
accompany him without harm to the Canary Islands, and give him any support
needed.

Your Ob’nt Servant,
         Lock Perlen,
                    the Admiralty.

I will have a fleet of probably around twelve Privateers. Mostly small ships,
for navigating the islands and snapping prizes up quickly. also, they can race
away from any threat.

HH