 Pirates / 3204
3203  |  3205
Subject:
Old pirate models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:04:24 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Ahoy!

Sorting through some old stuff at home, I found some photos of models I'd
built before I became active on LUGNET, and long before Port Brique was
conceived.

Way back in 1998(?), I had very few pirate sets (2 Imperial Bastions, the
smallest armada set, and one pirate minifig set IIRC), but quite a few basic
bricks.

My first project was the Imperial Harbour, which featured the first of many
lighthouses. While the harbour was not big, it was not a major problem as I
had nothing larger than a rowboat to moor in it.

The pics are
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/pre99/imperialharbour1.jpg and
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/pre99/imperialharbour2.jpg which
gives an idea of the size of the lighthouse - which I thought was pretty big
at the time...

After a few weeks (or was it months?) I decided that the imperials needed
something a bit more substantial. Thus, Castle Lighthouse was born:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/pre99/castlelighthouse1.jpg and
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/pre99/castlelighthouse2.jpg.

Castle Lighthouse used up almost all of my white, yellow and red bricks,
along with all my minifig sized doors and most of my windows. It was big and
solid, although the lighthouse tower was removeable so it could be
transported around the house.

After Castle Lighthouse, I went berserk with the vertical dimension and came
up with Lighthouse Tower:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/pre99/tallcastlelighthouse1.jpg,
which pretty much speaks for itself. It was tall.

After Lighthouse Tower practical storage considerations took over, and I
built Pirate Bridge.... tall twin towers linked by a bridge that my first
pirate ship could sail under, and armed with two cannon. Pirate Bridge also
featured a working elevator on the south tower, which could transport people
from the small dock to the deck level of the bridge. Looking at the photo,
it seemed it was garrisoned with Imperials and US Cavalry. Here's the only
photo:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/pre99/piratebridge1.jpg

Of particular note in that photo is the ship, that's my first brick-built
pirate ship, the Revenge. The Revenge was built with no pirate ship parts -
the masts & bowsprite were technic beems, the hull 100% traditional bricks
and the sales were printed on paper on a colour printer (the
skull-n-crossbones was a wingdings 'n' from memory).

Finally, I found a single photo of my most ambitious pre-French Squadron
pirate project, the second 'Revenge':
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/pre99/brickrevenge1.jpg

It's beam was 24 studs, and although it never got rigged, it was going to be
a brig. I still think it looks pretty good, and now I've acquired a few real
ship parts I'm think it could look very convincing... hmm....

Cheers

Richie Dulin