 Pirates / 3206
Re: Old pirate models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 01:15:27 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Kenneth Tam writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin writes:
Way back in 1998(?), I had very few pirate sets (2 Imperial Bastions, the
smallest armada set, and one pirate minifig set IIRC), but quite a few basic
bricks.

That's it? Puts Port Brique in a whole new light -- *very* well done to go
from a small resource base to becoming the dominant French concentration in
the South Pacific!

Up until January 2002, I wasn't sure if it was going to be "Port Brique' or
'Port Brick', but following a prisoner exchange with Port Block, the French
achieved a certain dominance...

<snip>

Finally, I found a single photo of my most ambitious pre-French Squadron
pirate project, the second 'Revenge':
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rdulin/pre99/brickrevenge1.jpg

It's beam was 24 studs, and although it never got rigged, it was going to be
a brig. I still think it looks pretty good, and now I've acquired a few real
ship parts I'm think it could look very convincing... hmm....

Owing to my latest building efforts, I *really* like these brick-built
vessels. The 24-stud beam revenge looked very nice... ever think of building
another such brig these days?

It won't be long until my new French 28 is launched. It uses standard hull
sections... after that there are a few other projects (including a partial
rebuild of Port Brique).

Another brig would be a possibility, but I think if I was going for another
brick built hull, I'd go for something a bit larger. (The tesselation is
less obvious, the larger the ship is).

Great stuff, Richie! Nothing like a dose of history... well, in historical
building...!

I'm glad that I took those pics - and found them again. Times (and building
styles - and scale) have certainly changed.

Richie