 Pirates / 2914
Re: His Majesty's Cutter "Friendly"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.build.military
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:44:46 GMT

  An excellent opening salvo in the application of SNOT building to
  Pirate ships!  I'm sure you're discovering a lot of the same things
  I did in my three SNOT vessels--especially the 6:5 ratio which will
  become firmly imprinted in your head as you go along, along with all
  the partial measures of various mounting pieces.

It's a whole new world to get used to, but I've been finding it
progressively easier to get a handle on.

  A couple of questions:

  -Have you considered building the deck up to its whole height, by
   adding tan plates and bricks built inward to be flush with the deck?
   _Takao_ is dependent upon this, but if you want to use actual Pirate
   cannon, you'll need deck all the way to the wall.  Don't be afraid
   build it studless!  The advantage to Pirate ships, too, is that the
   side plates can still extend above the deck level--so you can build
   in those all-important deck level gunwales.

That's on the books for larger vessels. 'Friendly' is fitted out to handle
that decking when I get my hands on more tan plating, but for now I'm hoping
to save what I have so that ships to come -- with long guns on them -- can
have proper decking.

  -Cannon:  They look great from the outside of the ship, but are they
   merely placeholders?  I'd love to see them replaced with actual
   Pirate cannon or more complex trolleys and barrels.  In combination
   with a full-on buildup of the deck it would look  excellent.

Ahh, I wish. Unfortunately, all of my long guns are being saved for the more
senior ships in the squadron. These Carronades are permanent -- I just can't
mount the full trucks on them until I complete the aforementioned decking-over.

  Like others, I'd love to see more pictures.  Very nice work indeed.
  Can we get better pictures of the stern?  Is there a full gallery?

No gallery on a Cutter, I'm afraid -- just davits and a little red boat.
Under the decorative poop there's nothing but a little shelter from the rain
for the intrepid Lieutenant... much like a true Cutter that way.

  Also, how is it friendly?  To whom?  And with how many guns?  ;)

Ahh, 'Friendly' is friendly to everyone who is on good terms with the Empire!

More pics will hopefully come when I can get my hands on a digital camera
again... and if I'm lucky, 'Friendly' won't be alone during the next shoot.

Kenneth Tam