 Pirates / 2511
Re: galleon (ISCC entry) then drifting off into an MOC of my own...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:59:42 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Michael Dallaston writes:
In lugnet.pirates, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

Arrrr, I be despisin' them lubbers at Lego fer turnin' 'round their lateen
sail aftbackwards, iffn you be excusin' me french.  Gives designers the
wrong idea.  Next they'll 'ave their bowsprits afoul their rudders and
they'll be well an' truly snarked.  :-)
Hmmm... there's an idea - front-rudder steering :)

No, that's how you reverse your course (at least if one subscribes to
Carrollian logic, always a bit Dodgy by definition) so it will still be aft
steering.

What if the triangular sail was used as a kind of gaff, i.e. RBR style?
Would that be 'acceptable'?

Michael Dallaston (who's very good at making gaffes :P)

A gaff sail wouldn't be triangular.  Jibs, staysails or lateens are
triangular.  Just turn the lateen around so that the point end faces the
front and ya got it (unless, of course, you are planning on the Carrollian
manuveur mentioned above, in which case I wholeheartedly approve of your
current arrangement).  :-)

Bruce