 Pirates / 2508
Re: the rereleased pirate sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 05:04:23 GMT

I'd like to see new pirate sets.  Sure, it's cheaper to re-release, but Lego
creates dozens of new sets every year, and from what we've seen in recent
times they could do a lot worse than a revamp of (what seems) a popular theme.

In lugnet.pirates, Timothy Carl Buchheim writes:
Why only big sets?  Well, there are several reasons.

1) larger profit margins
2) Many buyers don't own any pirate sets.  If they only get to buy 2 or 3 sets,
they'll be happier with large sets.  For someone who doesn't own any pirates
already, getting a small set wouldn't be very interesting as they wouldn't have
many pirate pieces/minifigs.
3) Those who were teens or poor college students when these sets first came out
may not have been able to afford them at the time, but have the money to
spend now.

I'm sure there are other reasons which I haven't thought of.
I always thought the purpose of the small sets is that you buy trolley-loads
of 'em, and have hordes of pirate mateys and/or Imperials :)

Michael Dallaston