 Pirates / 2348
Re: Pirate dissertation (long!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 05:36:50 GMT

   Hi!  Maggie scolded me for hanging around in .pun while a
   query went unanswered.  :D  What good is a historian who's
   too busy in the dairy to chime in?

In lugnet.pirates, Magnus Lauglo writes:
I hope it is OK to post this to this newsgroup, apologies for lack of any
lego content. I'm hoping some pirate history buffs may be able to give me
some pointers for my upcoming University dissertation.

   Do you call it a dissertation there?  We usually use that term
   only when speaking of the doctoral thesis (Ph.D. or D.Phil).

I am a third year history student, about to write my main dissertation on
some social aspect of 1500 - 1800s era piracy. It is based on a course I
have done on Law, Crime and Society in Early Modern England, and it would
have to have a kind of social history perspective. Although I have always
been interested in history in general, I don't know particularly much about
piracy, it just seemed like it might make for an interesting topic (and the
other topic I was "doing" for a while, didn't seem to be going anywhere).

I have yet to decide exactly what I want to focus on, perhaps various
portrayals of piracy by contemporaries, the government, folk literature, the
pirates themselves, etc.

Or possibly the social community of pirates; how aspects of uncommon
democracy went hand in hand with ruthless violence. I might want to compare
and contrast pirates with other sailors or other early modern era criminals
(highwaymen, vagabonds), and see how they were portrayed or viewed differently.

Any ideas or tips would be welcome. Are there any ideas as to which books
would be best to start off with, both by modern historians and contemporary
writers?

   I'm assuming you want to explore piracy in its Caribbean
   context; it was rampant all over the world in those times,
   but the Eurocentric imagination is fixated on the Atlantic
   case because the pirates were drawn from those societies.
   Social aspects of Atlantic life are really just now coming
   into focus--the divisions are being exposed as not so neat
   as once thought.  One place to start (and possibly the best,
   given how recent it is) is:

   Peter Linebaugh and Marcus Rediker, _The Many-Headed Hydra:
   Sailors, Slaves, Commoners, and the Hidden History of the
   Revolutionary Atlantic_ (Boston: Beacon Press, 2000), which
   should be about 15 quid or so in paperback ($18.00 US).

   Now, Peter was a fairly severe Marxist, and I'm not sure if
   he's still adamant on that--but the last time I saw him give
   a talk, it really didn't ooze out of him.  But he does take
   the tack that piracy wasn't anything too abnormal, rather that it
   was a manifestation of an Atlantic working class akin to the
   Dick Turpin phenomenon of Tyburn-era England (which he also
   wrote a book on, a few years back).  If you bear in mind that
   Linebaugh (possibly Rediker too, but I've never met him myself)
   was a student of E. P. Thompson, his approach makes a lot more
   sense (even if one disagrees with it).  Rediker also has a more
   Pirate-centered book, published in 1993 (_Between the Devil and
   the Deep Blue Sea_, I think).

   But if you want to come at scholarship starting with the pirates
   and working outward, separating the wheat from the considerable
   chaff is going to be a lot harder.  That's to be expected, given
   the popular romanticism that surrounds pirate legends (as evidenced
   in the very theme of this newsgroup).  Academic treatments of
   pirates and piracy specifically are hard to find for the same
   reason that academic treatments of the Middle Passage are lacking--
   records are generally created only at the points of landfall.
   If you dig in _Hydra_'s endnotes, you may find a lot of interesting
   source material, though they don't use a lot of archival records--
   mostly period publications and the like.  Philip Gosse's 1931
   history of piracy in the English colonies is probably still good
   reading too.

   David Cordingly (sp?) of the NMM in Greater London also has several
   books and was responsible for a well-received exhibit on pirates.
   I don't think you can go *anywhere* on a pirate-related topic
   without at least consulting his work--the latest is _Under the
   Black Flag_, according to Amazon, but I admittedly haven't been
   keeping up.

   So my short suggestion would be to start with Linebaugh/Rediker
   and branch out from there, following their citations and your own
   research.

I need to locate as much as possible primary source material from the period
(ie ballads, reports of piracy, laws about piracy etc). Can anyone point me
in the direction for this kind of thing? Just how much contemporary
literature exists on piracy?

   It depends on how much archival research you're planning to do,
   where you're located, and so forth.  If you can get a letter of
   introduction, I'd suggest getting a reader's ticket to the PRO
   (Public Record Office) in Kew, Surrey (Kew Gardens Tube stop)
   and one to the British Library at St. Pancras as well.

   At the PRO, the ADM classes are extremely useful; the Royal Navy's
   anti-piracy files will be found in those papers, inasfar as they
   still exist--but a lot of it is going to be chaff.  The site at
   http://www.pro.gov.uk/ now has the main catalogue online, so you
   can do some general digging to focus a search.  The BL similarly
   has its OPAC catalogue online.  The BL is probably your best bet
   to find personal papers or rare publications from private sources;
   getting access is commensurately difficult, so a reference letter
   is a must.

   But pirates were both vilified and romanticized, and there was
   a lot of popular ephemera floating around (much of which has not
   survived, lamentably).  But you may also wish to look in the
   Times Index (London), which I believe is on CD-ROM now, and is
   a fairly standard acquisition for Uni libraries.  Other UK and
   colonial papers are on fiche and microfilm.  You may also want
   to look at online indices of eighteenth- and seventeenth-century
   documents, which are becoming very numerous now, at least in
   English and regarding the Caribbean.  A lot of the pirates were
   French or had French crews, but I'm much less familiar with
   any materials present in the Bibliotheque Nationale or scholarship
   on French, Spanish, and Dutch pirates--they're usually subsumed
   into a general category in English-language scholarship.  But if
   anything comes to mind I'll shout.

Also, can anyone tell me if there are any good museums or exhibitions in the
south of England that I might find useful to vist?

   Unfortunately, I don't see the Pirates exhibit listed at the NMM.
   But I can tell you that it's a great place to visit with your interest,
   as a lot of the regular collection remains on display and the
   expertise is still in situ!  Moreover, as Larry P. and I found
   out when we hiked over there last year (yes, we crossed paths in
   London, of all places), the neighborhood is just *chock full* of
   maritime-subject bookstores.  A few afternoons spent there would
   likely not be wasted, because I can tell you that those indie
   bookstore proprietors are extremely knowledgeable about nautical
   literature--more so than most professional historians, who usually
   blanch at maritime and military histories as necessarily "base" and
   "unsophisticated" (which is, of course, a load of horse manure).

   The Golden Hinde, an interpretive replica of Drake's ship, is an
   interesting visit:

   http://www.goldenhinde.co.uk/

   ...but it won't be rewarding academically.  They do, however, hire
   really cute college co-eds to serve as the ship's staff.  :D  It's
   on the south shore of the Thames.

   However, for pirate-themed kitsch and museums (sometimes one and
   the same; witness Salem, Massachusetts), you can't beat the US
   East Coast between roughly South Carolina and Massachusetts.  But
   that's out, apparently, so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

   Hope this helps!

   best

   LFB