 Pirates / 2346
Re: Pirate dissertation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:38:02 GMT

Magnus,

You might want to contact the United States Coast Guard. They have an archive
of historical data dealing with piracy in U.S. coastal waters from their
inception in the late 1700's.

Most government documents can be retrieved back from those times at the large
university libraries that have goverment document collections. Also I believe
the library of congress is the only complete government document holder.

I don't know what your thesis or dissertation attempts to answer, the research
question being the main focus, but most literature is incorrect about the true
nature of piracy so I would be cautious about the source.

I will say that the Coast Guard had created a task force recently on Piracy on
the "High Seas and Carribean". I don't know if you will be able to find someone
to talk to about that right now, the USCG is tasked with port security since
9/11. But I will say that Piracy is on the rise in the Bahammas and the
Carribean.

Todd

In lugnet.pirates, Magnus Lauglo writes:
Hello,

I hope it is OK to post this to this newsgroup, apologies for lack of any
lego content. I'm hoping some pirate history buffs may be able to give me
some pointers for my upcoming University dissertation.

I am a third year history student, about to write my main dissertation on
some social aspect of 1500 - 1800s era piracy. It is based on a course I
have done on Law, Crime and Society in Early Modern England, and it would
have to have a kind of social history perspective. Although I have always
been interested in history in general, I don't know particularly much about
piracy, it just seemed like it might make for an interesting topic (and the
other topic I was "doing" for a while, didn't seem to be going anywhere).

I have yet to decide exactly what I want to focus on, perhaps various
portrayals of piracy by contemporaries, the government, folk literature, the
pirates themselves, etc.

Or possibly the social community of pirates; how aspects of uncommon
democracy went hand in hand with ruthless violence. I might want to compare
and contrast pirates with other sailors or other early modern era criminals
(highwaymen, vagabonds), and see how they were portrayed or viewed • differently.

Any ideas or tips would be welcome. Are there any ideas as to which books
would be best to start off with, both by modern historians and contemporary
writers?

I need to locate as much as possible primary source material from the period
(ie ballads, reports of piracy, laws about piracy etc). Can anyone point me
in the direction for this kind of thing? Just how much contemporary
literature exists on piracy?

Also, can anyone tell me if there are any good museums or exhibitions in the
south of England that I might find useful to vist?

Thanks

Magnus