 People / LGBT / 80
Re: Is lgbt dead in the water?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.lgbt

Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:36:24 GMT

In lugnet.people.lgbt, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.people.lgbt, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   I didn’t see anyone ‘gay bashing’, using crude/derogatory slangs at anyone else.

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=25868

“Come on, before the modern term of ‘homosexual’ was coined into English, everyone knew what a sodomite was...”

‘Sodomite’, in case you didn’t know, is considered offensive and an insult.

Even if this term wasn’t used against someone, it still creates an atmosphere that being gay is not welcomed.

Agreed. It is also inaccurate in that (at least in my view, which may be flawed because I’m hetero) having a preference and acting on that preference are not at all the same thing. (and the distinction goes a lot deeper than that)

However I also think Lee Meyer is in the minority in his (in my view, intolerant and misinformed) views.

I believe ‘sodomite’ is an accurate term, and the way I used it was not to bash anyone. You neglected to show the context in which I used that word in the first place, which was to show that by the term ‘sodomite’ one would know both ‘sexual orientation’ and also know what kinds of sex acts one might expect would occur. It has nothing to do with imagination. Here is the two paragraphs that show the context:

SNIP
   Secondly, knowing someone’s sexual orientation is not the same as “sexual secrets”. It tells you what gender of people they fall in love with, have partner relationships with, build a family with, have sex with. It doesn’t tell you what they do in bed. Anything of that nature is coming out of the person hearing the declaration’s imagination.

Kevin

Verbal gymnastics from Kevin. Sexual orientation may not tell you the specific acts a particular couple performs in bed, but you’d have to be an idiot not to know THE RANGE OF POSSIBLE ACTS two men or two women might do in bed together (same with ‘hets’ as you call us, too, although I suppose it’s better than ‘breeders’). Come on, before the modern term of ‘homosexual’ was coined into English, everyone knew what a sodomite was, and what kinds of specific acts it was referring to. Don’t try to play naive here - none of us has just fallen off the turnip truck lately.

SNIP

Perhaps I may be in the minority about this on Bricklink (surprised I’m not getting nicer treatment for being a minority.....), but you probably do not remember this, but when this discussion first started, my first post was dealing only with the topic of whether we should have such a group. Others decided to take this and bring it into a bigger discussion of bigger societal questions.

As for painting me with your broad brush of intolerance, I really don’t think you have any idea what genuine intolerance is about. I am sure that you, as well as myself, tolerate others every day that you don’t agree with. We work with people who we disagree with on things. We have family members who do not agree with our views. We respect their right to have differing views than we do. However, tolerance does not mean we accept or affirm or approve of their views. It is illogical to say to someone, ‘I disagree with your view, but I also accept and approve of your view.’ No, tolerance is that we hold our own view to be the correct one, but recognize another’s freedom to have a different view - just don’t expect me to support your view if I believe you are wrong. You are confusing tolerance with approval, and so your claim of intolerance just doesn’t wash with me.

As far as being misinformed, I would love to hear just what I am misinformed about. Give me a little more than a one sentence hack at me.