 People / 430
Re: I didn't get my memebership pack yet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 00:45:54 GMT

In lugnet.people, John DiRienzo writes:
Selçuk,
I got my very cool membership pack about two weeks after Todd got my
first payment.  I think he does send them after he gets $10 from the member.

Well, basically, yes -- but not quite.  A packet is created and sent after
someone becomes a member, but the act per se of becoming a member doesn't
occur until someone's fee[1] is received.

I don't think he put my name up on the members' board until he got the
payment either.

Yup, that's right.  Since a person does not become a member and have a page
created until their fee is actually received, there is nothing to list on
until then.  I suppose there could be an "application pending" list showing
names, but most of the time people send payment within a few days of filling
out the form.  There are a few stragglers, however, who have been sent
repeated gentle reminders via email and who may find their applications
cancelled if they drag it out too long (talking 60+ days here for a couple
of people).  I don't know what's so hard about dropping $10 in the mail, but
oh well.  :-)

He probably expected that you were "good for it" and
therefore put your name up right away.  Go ahead and pay him.

Selçuk was one of two people who received a lifetime membership free of
charge for his enormous contributions to the DB over the past year.  So he's
already set (no pun intended :-).  It looks like I may have to send a second
packet, assuming the first one is lost in the mail.

--Todd

[1] Since the lifetime membership fee is self-assigned, some people choose
a higher fee for themselves than US$10.00.