 People / 4213
Re: Elevador Moments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:56:29 GMT

In lugnet.people, Eric Sophie wrote:
Wed October 6 1:43am est.

I am writing this as it is fresh in my mind.

I just stepped off the elevador and boy was it funny.

It all started when I was riding my bike up to the building where I live.
I ussually make a right turn and the head past the gaurd shack, but this time I
went straight, and over the cross walk. Then I see there are some cars comming
down the block so I turn around and go back my ussual way.

Adding say 3-5 or 7 seconds to my time. I always wonder what will happen in the
random moment that occurs when we miss a turn, or go on an unexpected route. As
I road towards the front of the building I thought to myself, what occurance
will happen now that I was a few seconds later in my arrival then if I hadn't
taken a differnt route.

It happend. Something strange.

So as I ride up to the front of the building. Two men are standing out side.
One is in a suit, drunk, with out his tie and loose shirted. The other more
sporty like with a ball cap on. They are talking about some rant and as I ride
up to grab the door, I hear what they are saying.

The one guy with the suit seemed to be complaining about terrorism and a lack of
security or something. Then I noticed he was talking my direction from behind. I
turn around. In mid sentence he says ".....and look at this guy with a bomb on
his back and how he's just gonna walk in to the building and blow us up.  Why do
you want to blow me up?" At this point we are looking right at each other. Now,
I live at the James Madison building. I'm standing at the door with my bike and
my back pack. He's at the curb.

Instead of me walking in to the building and pretending to ignore him. I wait. I
continue to observe him and listen to what he is saying.

He goes on to say he's sick of terrorism and blahh blahhh.

He walks up to me as I am staring at him. He says, "Aren't you sick too?" "Like
you could have had a bomb!" I think at this point I could tell you what
alcoholic beverage he had.

Then instead of saying something, I just blew wind out of my mouth like I was
blown away that he could be so rude to say that to someone. Obviously
intoxicated.

Then I wait as he walks back to the curb and says some more rants to his buddy.
Who seems embarrassed by this person. I am looking right at them like now I'm
interested in what he is saying.

I think he gets a little self consious because they decide to head up. So they
go inside the building. They help me with the doors and I get my bike inside. We
all pause at the door man. I'm not sure but I sensed they had words before or
something because something was said. In that moment I took my back pack off and
started to open it.

The suit guy looked at me. The situation seemed like I was checking in like an
airport.
Then he sinckered and walked away towards the elevador. I shuffled along behind
hoping to enter the same elevador. By this time I'm reaching in my bag and
pulling out the box that is inside. A very nice woman, myself, my bike, my
halfway pulled out box and this suited drunk guy and his sporty friend are in
the service elevador.

Oh could you press 18 please, I say to the nice woman.

I pull the box out and begin to open the box. I throw the bag to the floor.
The guy in the suit says "Oh! don't be all opening boxes and stuff, I don't know
what the f*** is in there!"

I take the cover off the box and the suit guy says "I don't know what the f***
that is!"
I take my robot out of the box and say. "Hey look it's my Lego robot! You like
it? Pretty cool huh? I made it." As I proudly turn it around so all in the
elevador can see its detail and construction.

Then the nice woman says "oh your the Lego guy!?" I say hi, yes thanks.

Then the elevador stops at her floor and she gets off and we all say goodnight
to her.
With an additional apology from the two guys for the strange elevador ride.

Now the door closes and I put the robot back in the box as the guy continues to
rant about how I could as an example, could have had a bomb in my pack and I was
not being checked.
(He dosen't realize it but he offended the wrong person.)

I look him right in the eye and say, Look, I was the third person to move in to
this building 15 or so years ago. I am just as concerned as you about these
kinds of things. I want people at the front of the building doing their jobs and
keeping an eye out. But you don't go around saying things like that to people
around here and make them feel uncomfortable!

Just then the door opens to my floor and I toss my box and bag out the door of
the elevador and wrestle with my bike through the door as it is by now closing
on me. The sporty guy starts to help with the door as I am saying to the suited
guy: So maybe I hear what your saying, maybe I 'm hearing what your saying. But
don't act like that around here, (as I point my finger at his nose) and I'm just
the guy to tell you!! As I finish raising my voice. The door closes and I pick
up my box and start laughing as I fumble for my keys.

The things that happen when you make the extra turn or take that extra second or
two. Some times we catch or miss situations by a second.

Anyway, I thought it was cool that the nice woman had heard of me, and that I
got to confront a loud obnoxious drunk with modern day paranoia gone aloof by
use of my little ol' Lego robot.

Eric Sophie

I got a kick when I read this story because it reminds me so much of the public
transit experiences I've had.

About two weeks ago I was in downtown San Diego and thought I could take the
trolley or an express bus to my next stop and decided to take the trolley.

My oh my was that a trip.

Some kids, about five, got on a stop and one was carrying a plastic black toy
gun (it had the "red tip") and this kid, about 10, would shoot it at people's
heads as they would get off the trolley.  He then started to shot at people
sitting and tried to come up and shoot me.  Strangely, I didn't even flinch.

The rider sitting across from me called out to the kids "Getting prepared for
your next career?"  Shortly thereafter just came yelling between this guy and
the kids and I was stuck in between, litterally.  I put my arms up and told them
both to calm down as did other riding.  He decided to get off at the next stop.

The kids were a bit cocky when he left but fortunately he or someone had the
phone number of transit security.  At the next stop, two police cars and transit
security were waiting to pick them up.

This was a stop where the doors open on both sides and one of the kids thought
he could slip by.  Fortunately, there were enough responsible riders to point
the kid out to police and he got nabbed.

I was still on the trolley and just smiled as I saw them get hauled away.

Adr.