 People / 4211
Re: Elevador Moments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:54:38 GMT

In lugnet.people, Eric Sophie wrote:
Wed October 6 1:43am est.

I am writing this as it is fresh in my mind.

[snip]

Adding say 3-5 or 7 seconds to my time. I always wonder what will happen in the
random moment that occurs when we miss a turn, or go on an unexpected route. As
I road towards the front of the building I thought to myself, what occurance
will happen now that I was a few seconds later in my arrival then if I hadn't
taken a differnt route.

It happend. Something strange.

[snip]
I take the cover off the box and the suit guy says "I don't know what the f***
that is!"
I take my robot out of the box and say. "Hey look it's my Lego robot! You like
it? Pretty cool huh? I made it." As I proudly turn it around so all in the
elevador can see its detail and construction.

Then the nice woman says "oh your the Lego guy!?" I say hi, yes thanks.

[snip]
and I pick up my box and start laughing as I fumble for my keys.

The things that happen when you make the extra turn or take that extra second or
two. Some times we catch or miss situations by a second.

Anyway, I thought it was cool that the nice woman had heard of me, and that I
got to confront a loud obnoxious drunk with modern day paranoia gone aloof by
use of my little ol' Lego robot.

Eric,

Thanks for sharing this. I often have wondered about things similarly. It's so
weird yet fascinating how something so simple as changing a step in a route can
cause you to experience an event that would have gone otherwise unnoticed by
yourself. This crosses my mind a lot when driving, especially on the
highway/interstate or when I'm making a quick run to the store *cough* Target,
Kohl's sale *cough* because I think how if i were to wait a bit and then leave,
what a difference it would make as to who and what I would pass and whether I
would notice some detail that otherwise would be oblivious to myself. It's funny
how we have the "free will" to go certain places at certain times that may not
seem meaningful at times but at the same time another essentially arbitrary
choice could make all the difference in the world (i.e. saving an old lady's
life by not running the yellow light and therefore being delayed for the next
crosswalk). These circumstantial events also bring fate into play and can open a
whole philosophical debate and inquiry as to whether coincidence really is just
that or something more. Anywho, I just wanted to comment on what you shared and
I would like to discuss this subject more yet I know now I'll digress cause I
spent my wee morning hours building for a change and so I am in need of sleep.

Ciao for now.

- Andrew P. Saada