 People / 4212
Re: Elevador Moments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:47:12 GMT

In lugnet.people, Eric Sophie wrote:

<snip>

The things that happen when you make the extra turn or take that extra second or
two. Some times we catch or miss situations by a second.

Werd.

In the summer o' '93, I left a friends house at about 2am.  When I got to the
end of his street, to pull out onto Old Courthouse Road, I waited an extra 7-8
seconds for a car to pass when I could have easily made the turn in front of
him.  After making the turn, and deciding to go below the posted 25mph speed
limit (in direct contrast to my driving style at the time).

When I got about 500 yards up the steep, uphill, left-hand bend up the road, I
heard a loud squealing.  I pulled over at the foot of the guard rail (in place
to protect the house at the corner of that bend) and listened.  In an instant, a
car came barrelling around the bend and slammed into the guard rail, driver's
side front corner first.  If I hadn't slowed in any of the three places
mentioned above, that headlight would have gone through my door and my torso
before making contact with the guard rail.

There was also the time I was working on my car strut, and moved a second before
a 12" screwdriver blade went flying through the Roadrunner-like dust cloud where
I was just standing, right about where my neck would have been.  The screwdriver
landed 50 feet away, the bladed buried 8" into the ground.

Then there was the time I was working in a southern Arizona copper mine, and
almost had my haul truck roll backwards off a 150' dump pile - the shift
supervisor came racing down to stop me just as my hand was about to push the
lever to raise the dump bed, which would have put the bulk of the 320-ton load
over the edge, sending me to my death.

As I think more about these split-second strokes of luck, I keep realizing that
they mostly involve me getting killed.  In addition to these three stories, I
can think of at least 5 more near-death experiences... and the thing is, I'm not
all that stupid.  It all boils down to timing & luck.

It's like I'm the Duke Boys to the Grim Reaper's Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrain.

-nk, fightin' the system like-a two modern-day Robin Hooooooooooood