 People / 3240
Re: A Request For Your Story...One Year Later
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 03:05:09 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Matt & All,

I guess I will start this thread as well, although it is something that is
still with me, and most of us, for the rest of our lives. I hope and pray
that the people who were affected by this will find some relief, or some
comfort, in some way. I am glad that there are numerous services among
churches, and public displays for people that might want to commerate this
tragedy tomorrow, I think it will be a few years before some can come to
grips. I think you can honestly say this is a first for this country.

A year later, as I read this memorial page again, and how things came about
that horrid day, I am very grateful that LUGNET was there, since I have made
many friends and acquantiances since I saw this site in 1998. Thank all of
you for your kind words and support on this day, it meant a lot to me, and
many others, I am sure of.

I am still angry, that there are people still capable of such acts in the
world. Everytime I see footage, everytime I go through my collection of
pictures and links that signified this day, it still strikes a nerve on how
bad, or evil, some people are. it is important not to forget what happened
as we move ahead with our lives, and our country.

Other emotions are still prevalent. I am still amazed at the amazing acts of
that day, whether it was brave souls on on Flight 93, that prevented another
strike, or the hundreds of firefighters, police officers, and other public
service personnel, among others, that gave their lives, maybe for one more
person to survive out of that day. I still can't believe seeing footage of
people rushing towards the otwers as they were collapsing, while others ran
in terror. What bravery. It still gives me chills, and I feel like crying
all over again. It was such a blessing to see all the things that were
brought to the U.S. embassies around the world, tedy bears, flags, letters
and flowers and cards of support.

Over this past year, I saw a lot of articles on the WTC and on the
construction, and that kind of thing. One of the scariest and most haunting
was of the head structural engineer, where he was discussing the bomber that
hit the Empire State building in 1947, and how if a plane was to hit either
tower, it should not be too big of problem. he said that if a Boeing 707,
the biggest jet back when the WTC was built, it would still stand. Now, that
was assuming the plane might have been lost and going slow, and not the jets
that hit it intentionally carrying vast amounts of jet fuel and flying ful
speed. I am still amzaed at the durability of the WTC, and how long they
stayed up.

Locally, I am so amazed that we have had so many people come together for
that time to stand united. I was amazed at the outpouring of signs, of
flags, of support that the Mishiana area had, it seemed every sign that
could be changed had something about what happened. It was a sight I never
saw before, and maybe, will never see again. I can't forget going to the
Elkhart Super K-mart, I don't know why I went, I felt so bad, I didn't know
what else to do. Practically no one was in the store, outside of the small
crowd near the TV section, watching coverage. Most were shaking their heads,
in disbelief. I felt like I was in another universe or something. That
Friday, at Indalex, where I work, we had a 5 minute observation time to
honor what happened. that was the first time I ever saw that at any of the
multiple places I worked at in my career.

I am thankful for the brave men and women in the U.S. Armed Forces, along
with other nations military that helped us and continues to do so in
Afhganistan, and for all that lost their lives. I do remember how said it
was when the Canadian personnel were killed by friendly fire. Tbank you all
for the service to our country, it is appreciated, and I hope you all come
home safely.

I am glad that our leaders came out united, that our President and Congress
were unharmed that day. One of the political cartoons I enjoyed was of the
Congress, before 9-11, coming out as donkeys and elephants, the symbols of
our two parties in the US, and after 9/11 coming out as human beings. While
there is a lot of debate going on now, I am glad we had a united front to
face this threat at the time.

In conclusion, this event has changed a lot about me, it confirmed my fears
we would be attacked someday, it showed me that people can unite against
anything, and that their are real heroes that are not afraid to die to help
others. it gave me an even deeper appreciation of police officers and
firemen that risk their lives to protect people. It gave me a stronger and
firmer faith in God. It also gave me appreciation of living in the US, where
freedom still rings, even if the bell was cracked. It still impacts me on
multiple levels, and I think it will for sometime.

I plan on going to work tomorrow, just as I did a year ago, just as those
3,000 people did, and hopefully it will not be a day were I stared at my
computer in disbelief, where I sat with my co-workers around a radio,
hearing updates, and being in a state of shock. I am grateful LUGNET was a
forum I could come to to get information, and I hope we will never need to
repeat it.

Thank you Matt, for the wonderful webpage to commorate this, and thanks for
letting me post this. I am finding this hard to type, my emotions and
thoughts are going everywhere right now.

I will end this with a quote from President George W. Bush on 9/11/01:

"America was targeted for attack because we are the brightest beacon of
freedom and opportunity in the world, and no one will keep that light from
shining. Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest
buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These
actsshatter steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve."

Scott Sanburn
--
Member, MichLUG http://www.michlug.org
Website: http://www.scottesanburn.org