 People / 3218
Re: Keyboard trouble!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 22:25:24 GMT

In lugnet.people, Calum Tsang writes:
In lugnet.people, Richard Noeckel writes:

But…problem is that I spilled
half a glass of water unto it!!!!!!

Can any thing be done?

Cause it jus’ takes sooo long to compose
a letter with cut & paste.
(the keys effected are ‘t’ ‘h’ ‘n’ and ‘5’)
I ‘m using ctrl + c & ctrl + v constantly!

Well, if it's relatively new, you can go and look into getting a replacement
on warranty.

It's not under warranty.  "spilled half a glass of water" == not covered. :)

Another possibility if it's off warranty, is to open it up and clean out the
keyboard matrix contacts underneath.  If it's water, it shouldn't have done
too much-pop on the other hand is corrosive and conductive and much worse.
Let it dry completely before trying it out again.

Yup, you can try this, although I've found that the funky split keyboard
ergonomic ones are generally less robust.  But you've nothing to lose: the
worst thing that can happen is that it stays broken. :)

A third possibility is to just go and buy a new keyboard.  Your average
clone keyboard is like $5 down on College.

If cleaning doesn't work, this is pretty much your remaining option.

thanks,

James (who replaces coffee/coke/water spilled keyboards routinely as part of
his job)