 People / 3084
3083  |  3085
Subject:
My move in progress
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us.nc, lugnet.loc.us.or.por
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 01:09:35 GMT

Well, my move is in progress.

Friday, they driver called to ask if he could come by Monday to scope
things out (he was scheduled to arrive Tuesday for packing and loading).
I said sure.

When he arrived on Monday, he asked if he could get started and I said
sure. He backed the truck into the complex and parked mostly out of the
way. He then decided he needed more boxes so went off to get them. On
returning from that, he started doing some packing. I had not yet made
enough progress dismantling sets in preparation for the move, but he
started packing stuff which was ready to go, while I helped some and
continued dismantling sets.

He left about 10 PM, leaving me with some boxes to pack. I ended up
staying up most of Monday night, taking a few nap breaks. During the
night, I got all the pirate ships packed.

Tuesday morning, he showed up around 7 as promised, but his help was
delayed. Once they arrived, the mayhem started. They started packing
furiously while I scrambled to dismantle the rest of the sets while
trying to supervise and even help them a bit. Late in the afternoon, I
helped load my car on the truck (they let me drive).

At about 9 PM, they gave up for the night, to return at 7:30. Shortly
after, a friend picked me up and we joined the caving club for their
"after the meeting meeting" where I finally had dinner. I spent the
night at my friends (my bed was long dismantled). I was awakened at 4 AM
by someone walking on the stairs. I bolted awake, somehow thinking I was
in my apartment and had overslept and the noise was the movers arriving.
I never really got back to sleep, and finally got up, ate breakfast and
read the paper. When my friend woke up, he gave me his car keys (he
could walk to work) and I drove over, stopping to get soda (something I
never thought to provide - my friend supplied a cooler with ice) and
cash for a tip for the helper who was returning (another thing I would
have forgotten had he not hinted that a letter to his supervisor didn't
put more money in his pocket). I arrived as they were opening up the
truck.

About 9 AM, I realized there was no way they were going to be packed
enough for me to leave at like 10 for a 12:30 flight, so I rebooked my
flight for 4. At 1, I realized they still weren't quite going to make
it, but they were close enough that they could get everything out and I
could lock up and turn in the keys and leave (once the driver has
inventoried everything and had me sign the paperwork, the goods are
basically his responsibility, and there really isn't much to the

During the morning, the maintenance supervisor came in and blessed the
apartment as in acceptable shape, I ended up not doing as much cleaning
as was required by the lease since so many things would be replaced
(fridge [in fact, they had a delivery of a fridge that day, so they went
ahead and pulled mine out while the guy was there]. stove, carpet,
linoleum, wall paper, and painting). They noted some water damage, but
that wasn't really my problem (I have reported it several times, they
seem to have problem getting the roof properly fixed). The water damage
will probably actually mean even more work. The maintenance super
complemented me on how well I had treated the place. I think the
maintenance staff actually appreciate long term residents even more than
the management.

I got to the airport in plenty of time and arrived in Portland late in
the evening. Once I got my car, I looked at my map to find the hotel,
and found that it was quite easy to find, being about a mile or two from
work. I stumbled into bed about midnight.

I woke up again at 4 (oh well, despite massive exhaustion, my internal
clock was/is still on EST). I got a little more sleep, but finally got
up at 6:30. I picked up breakfast and went into work. At lunch time, I
drove over to the apartment complex to get my keys and unload my
luggage. I got my phone and answering machine setup and checked in with
my dad.

The next week or two may be a little short on LEGO. I didn't bring any
with me (I was concentrating on practical stuff like some dishes etc.,
the telephones, and some bedding). I will probably place a S@H order (I
had intended to place one on Friday so I would have something waiting
for me) and get some of the things I've been waiting to order.

I plan on making a big stack of all my LEGO in the garage to take a
picture to document the sheer quantity (I think more than half of the
volume of my goods is LEGO). I would love to host a gathering once I'm
at least partially moved in.

Looking at my place in more detail now, I'm still struggling with how to
divvy up the space and try and keep the living/dining room more useable.
I realized my bedroom may be smaller than the one in Raleigh, so I may
not be able to follow my desired plan of having both my LEGO storage and
a decent sized table for a town/train display in the bedroom. I may go
with the plan two of having a table in the garage (it's a tandem garage,
i.e. two cars deep) so I could have a decent sized table and still have
storage space for other junk. Of course that would result in quite a
walk between the storage and display space. The other possibility is to
put the storage in the 2nd bedroom and the table in my bedroom (the two
bedrooms are about the same size, but the 2nd bedroom will get a queen
bed, where I just use a twin for myself).

Well, time to head out...

Frank