 People / 2693
Re: Updated Shuttle MOC (thread dragged over from .general)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 03:53:40 GMT

If I were to re-post older (blurry) pics of the shuttle, the only noticeable
difference would be the lack of landing gear.  The shuttle used to sit on a
stack of six CDs, so I decided some feet would do it justice.  They are true
to the actual model - just two.  According to the Star Wars Technical
Journal, the power core is very heavy and sits squarely on the stance of the
main gears, making a nose gear unnecessary.  Anyway.  I also added a
boarding ramp, navigation lights on the tips of the three "wings" and some
grill tiles on the snout of the cockpit.  That's it, the model that you saw
a while back is pretty much the same.  Possibly my only regret about the
whole thing is that it's a sculpture, without room for minifigs.  If I were
to re-design it to accomodate two pilots and a host of royal guards, I
believe the cockpit would lose its sleek profile and scale. If one were to
refer to Industrial Light and Magic, The Art of Special Effects, one would
note the slender design of the original model.  I prefer to preserve the
true appearance of the shuttle rather than make it fat just to host minifigs.

-Matt

.