 People / 2243
Re: Birthday Mathematics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 04:08:59 GMT

Eric Harshbarger <eric@ericharshbarger.org> wrote in message
news:3B354B3E.D79739E5@ericharshbarger.org...

So here's an explanation of the probability of two people in a crowd
sharing a birthdate (independent of the birth year -- and disregarding
leap year birthdays):

The chance of two people sharing a birthday is 1/365. This should be
clear if you realize that the shared date can be ANY day. We are NOT
arbitrarily picking a date beforehan and asking if two people share THAT
birthdate (which would be a much lower chance)... rather we are simply
asking if two people share a date... whatever that day of the year is.
Thus, with two individuals, we ask what the first person's birthdate is.
The chance that the second person's date matches the first person is
simply 1 in 365.

Another way to think of it is that the probability is [1 - (the chance
that the two people DON'T share the same birthday)] which would be:

(1 - 364/365) == 1/365

ok I get it until this point.

Now, if there are 3 people involved, the chance that two individiduals
share a birthdate will be [1 - CHANCE THAT NO ONE SHARES A BIRTHDATE]

The CHANCE THAT NONE OF THE THREE SHARE A BIRTHDATE is

[364/365] ^ (3)  ... meaning raised to the third power.

This is because there are three ways to compare different pairs of
individuals (AB, BC, AC) and for each pair the chance that they don't
share a birthdate is, again, 364/365.

Note that this exponent of 3 is, in probability terms, a '3 choose 2'
calculation, or (3!)/(2! * 1!).

So the probability we sought is 1 minus that value or:

1 - [364/365] ^ (3) ~= 0.8% (still a small chance)

Generalizing the above formula to N individuals, one gets this:

Probability of 2 people out of a group of N people sharing a common
birthdate equals:

1 - [364/365] ^ (N!/(2!)(N-2)!)

Note that when N == 23 (23 people in the group), the probability comes
out to just above 50%, so if you are ever amongst a crowd of 23 people,
you have better odds than not of two people in that crowd sharing a
birthday.

Ouch! your givin' me one heck of a headache.

And, obviously, if your crowd has 365 people of more, you MUST have a
common birthday somewhere.

Now that makes sence.

Gary
Where did I leave that algebra book.......
*leaving to find a bottle of aspirin (and posibly a can of pepsi)*