 Parts / Modification / 110
Re: Small battery box into 9V powersource?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:39:30 GMT

"Brian Davis" <brdavis@iusb.edu> wrote in message
  I'd like a small powersource I can plug into a wall, and I've got a
small 9V
battery box that seems to have gone bad. The idea is to use a standard
"wall
wart" transformer to feed 9-12V DC into the small battery box. But, with
all
that lovely room in there, it would be nice to add a rheostat of some type
to be
able to dial up the voltage I really want (think very poor mans train
transformer).
  First, has anybody done this? I'm assuming the gear motors still run
just
fine on "pure" wall wart output (as oppossed to RCX / control center /
train
drivers), but I'm more concerned with two other aspects of this: (1)
should I
leave in the thermal fuse (actually, I suspect this is the part that may
have
failed, so I may have to work without it in the circuit), and (2) if I
just
throw a good old variable resistor in the circuit, what sort of heat
dissipation
within the small batter box am I talking about? Damaging?
  Speak to me oh Modding Masters!!

--
Brian Davis

I'm not that gifted in electronics so my knowledge is limited.  I'd use a 9
volt voltage regulator inside the battery box, but I'm guessing there's an
easier, more efficient, and better way...

9v regulator:
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&D=*lm7809*&terms=lm7809&Ntt=*lm7809*&Dk=1&Ns=MfgrPartNumber%7c%7cSField&N=0&crc=true

datasheet: http://www.nteinc.com/specs/1900to1999/pdf/nte1910.pdf

-Rob